A Short History of Messingham Bowls Club
Messingham Bowls Club as near as can be ascertained was established in 1920 with the green located in the grounds of the Vicarage in Fairfield Drive. In those early days the matches that took place were all local friendlies and this format continued through the 1939–1945 war years.
Extracts from minutes recorded at an early Annual General Meeting in May 1930 showed a cash balance of 16 pounds 3 shillings and 11 pence. Also at that meeting an indication of early organisation and discipline was evident with a proposal, seconded and approved that ‘’any member defaulting on the occasion of a match, unless informing the Captains 24 hours earlier, to be fined one shilling’’. At the Annual General Meeting in 1935 it was carried that all visitors playing on the green would pay 6 pence for the day. However one of the most significant changes to the Club at this meeting was the proposal to allow ladies to become members at 2 shillings per year, to play any afternoons except Saturdays. This was put to the meeting and carried with a proviso that the ‘’ladies were not to wear high-heeled boots’’. The method of travelling to and from matches in those days was significantly more difficult with public transport being the main means. In 1940 the groundsmen were excused the payment of subscriptions, teas and bus fares for the year so it was decided to increase annual subscriptions from 4 shillings to 5 shillings.
Friendly matches continued until 1948 when the Club entered the Scunthorpe and District Schweppes League when a Second Division was formed. From 1952 ladies were allowed to play in the teams. In the early 1950’s the Club moved to its present venue at the village Playing Field after the site had been developed and green laid by members. A second hand hut was collected from Bardney just outside of Lincoln to provide the only shelter from the elements at the new green.
Development and improvements have continued to take place at the Messingham Bowls Club with the Clubhouse having been modernised with the addition of a new conservatory added to the front. Also an automatic irrigation system installed in 1992 with a number of fully programmable pop-up sprinklers situated around the perimeter of the green. The club currently has approximately 50 members and run teams in the Scunthorpe and District League and Scunthorpe Tuesday Afternoon Triples League.